As the Brazilian actress Regina Casé, who warmed up the tens of thousands of fans at Maracana stadium, put it: “Here in Brazil, we like to party.”
Well, here at the Donehue household, we also like to party! We enjoyed the 2016 opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics with an “around the world” party.
We kicked things off with an Olympic soundtrack, some songs included:
• “We Are The Champions” by Queen
• “World’s Greatest” by R. Kelly
• “Olympic Fanfare” by John Williams
• “All I do is Win” by DJ Kahled
• “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N Roses
• “London Bridge” by Fergie
• “Lose Yourself” by Eminem
• “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor
• “Bugler’s Dream” by Leo Arnaud
• “Sandstorm” by Darude
• “The Olympic Spirit” by John Williams
Each couple was asked to bring a signature beverage from a different country, creating a colorful, fully stocked bar with selections from around the globe.
To me the Olympics are about uniting all the different countries together. For this party we really wanted to bring an element of global unity to the decor. I hung garland of various flags on the popcorn bar, olympic rings on the big screen, and an olympic tissue paper torch served as a centerpiece for the drink table.